What other band can bring together the deep-pocket swing of the 1930s and 1940s and segue effortlessly into contemporary beats like Stevie Wonder’s “I Wish” and “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk? The Atlanta Journal-Constitution flatly states: “Gwen Hughes was swinging before swinging was cool.”
A veteran on the Southeast music scene, Gwen is one of the busiest bandleaders in Atlanta, along the way being named “Favorite Jazz Artist” by the readers of Creative Loafing magazine and taking her act overseas to France, Eastern Europe and Turkey. The rest of the “Kats” are equally impressive: Arthur Turner on keyboards; Ramon Pooser on bass; Mace Hibbard on saxophone; Melvin Jones on trumpet; Wes Funderburk on trombone; and Mike Hinton is the faithful backbeat on the drums. Collectively, these players (and Gwen) have about a century of experience between them, playing all over the world, for the last (4) Olympic Games, movie stars with Turner Classic Movies, and professional clients in such diverse locales as the Cayman Islands to New York City. The Georgia Dept. of Economic Development calls upon Gwen & The Kats every year to travel and represent the State at various functions all over the United States.
While Gwen is known for her singing, she is also an accomplished pianist, frequently leading the band for events that do not require vocals.
Corporate and wedding clients marvel at the band’s ability to take the event seriously, but not themselves. Says Gwen: “My objective has always been to have a band that enjoys each other – it makes the audience enjoy the band that much more…and it makes the music even better.” Her point is enthusiastically supported by Gloria Stuchlik, formerly of the Emory Conference Center: “When the band broke into “In the Mood,” I think I even saw a waiter dancing! The shouts of “Encore!” I heard at the end of the evening lead me to believe everyone enjoyed the evening as much as I did.”
Performance History Available upon request. References available upon request. To Contact Us About Booking the Band or More Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 770/621-4644.
Videos & Photos
Voted “Favorite Jazz/Swing Artist” multiple times
by Creative Loafing magazine.
Bandleader Gwen Hughes has had Grammy submission and the band’s members have played for music legends like Chuck Berry, Jeff Beck, Francine Reed and The Beach Boys!
- The ONLY swing band that can also play Motown and Classic Rock Hits, too!
- Nonstop 4 hour dance sets available upon request.
- 15 years of experience serving corporate clients, casinos, clubs and festivals.
- A wedding band that gives each bride & groom the personal attention they deserve, learning special songs, meeting in advance to finalize all details, making sure the day is flawless.
- For Corporate Events we will make sure that every detail is attended to.
- The band can be as small as a duo up to 7 pieces, with a 3 piece horn section. For a Big Band and full orchestra see our other band The Continental Dance Orchestra.
- We will always dress for the occasion. Zoot-Suits are an additional option.
- Background Solo Piano, Duos, Trios and Quartets available – perfect for cocktail and dinner events.